Tech-enabled merchandise is expected to be the hot buy this holiday season with one in three shoppers (35%) saying they plan to put these items on their gift lists. Another 10% say they will purchase tech-enabled clothing, like a vest that charges your mobile devices, according to the Synchrony Financial 2017 Holiday Study. Other highlights from the firm’s survey include:
- For the first time, shoppers report the majority (51%) of their holiday purchases will be made online, up 4% in the last two years.
- Consumers say they will make 20% of their purchases on a mobile device this holiday season.
- Half say they use mobile because they can more easily view the confirmation of their purchase in their email.
- One-third (36%) say they will use mobile because they can more easily link their email offers/coupons to their purchase.
- Christmas Creep is Slowing. Only 44% say they will be shopping earlier this year, vs. 53% in 2016.
- Shoppers say they are less likely to be out “hunting for a deal” this year on key holiday sales days such as Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday.