Four beauty brands–Clarins, Coty, Groupe Rocher, L’Oréal—have launched “Responsible Beauty Initiative” (RBI) to strengthen sustainable practices, improve environmental footprint and social impacts, and maximize shared value across the beauty industry’s collective supply chain. Members will amplify their efforts to boost sustainability in their supply chains, with the goal of ensuring that industry suppliers have sound ethical, social, and environmental business practices in place. The RBI will achieve these objectives by:
- driving a common understanding of sustainability performance across the industry
- sharing best practices and processes
- leveraging common tools to create efficiencies and benefits for suppliers
The Responsible Beauty Initiative is built on a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) rating platform, operated by EcoVadis, as a common foundation for supplier assessment and interaction. Benefits include:
- Engagement of suppliers via an independent expert, EcoVadis.
- Ratings and benchmarks of suppliers’ CSR performance and practices in environment, social, ethics, and supply chain from document analyses and stakeholder inputs, based on international standards such as the Global Reporting Index (GRI), ISO 26000, and the Global Compact principles.
- A thorough CSR assessment adapted to each supplier’s sector, size, and location, and a Scorecard of results for suppliers, with detailed feedback across all themes, and collaborative tools to help guide improvements.
- Efficient and precise sharing of Scorecard results to multiple stakeholders to avoid duplicated efforts.
“RBI members are well-positioned to leverage their collaboration to create value and competitive advantage by advancing sustainability performance in its shared global supply chains,” said Pierre-Francois Thaler, co-CEO of EcoVadis.
The Responsible Beauty Initiative will address the opportunities and challenges of the beauty industry global supply chains and will aim to drive the continuous improvement of sustainability practices. The founding members will sign the charter to officially launch RBI and invite other companies and suppliers in the industry to join.