Design scores with tech, interactive experiences
NBA STORE | New York, NY
size: 25,000 sf
completion: January 2016
photos: John Muggenborg Photography
BY MERGING HISTORICAL NBA MEMORABILIA WITH STATE-OF-THE-ART TECHNOLOGY AND INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCES, this multidimensional, three-story design shows a strong appreciation for basketball fans and connects them with the sport they love. Achieving LEED Gold certification, the flagship store also scores high on sustainability.
A glass and aluminum double-height facade allows passersby to see everything happening inside. Pairing a basketball net internally lit with LEDs and a steel-framed basketball sculpture creates photo opportunities and stands out in the busy Fifth Avenue shopping district.
Anchoring the first floor, a 400-sq.-ft. videowall displaying league news, game highlights, and social media add to the store’s appeal as a major destination. There’s also an 84-in. transparent LCD display highlighting the league’s apparel line, video game kiosks, pop-a-shots, and interactive touchscreens to locate merchandise. Graphics and sculptural balls let visitors compare their handprints and shoe sizes to the players.
Other features include:
- Using authentic Spalding basketball leather material for fixture tops.
- Placing insets of authentic maple hardwood NBA Court flooring in the polished concrete main floor.
- Using custom painted court markings to guide customers.
- Designing perimeter fixtures to represent team lockers.
- Upholstering a seating area in authentic Spalding leather.