Design creates curiosity, evokes elegance
ELEGANZA | Les Promenades Gatineau, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
size: 3,800 sf
completion: January 2016
photos: Ruscio Studio Inc.
Shop! members contributed to the following elements:
Arborite laminate, screens/room dividers
Armstrong Flooring wall panel molding
Goldsmith visual elements
Johnsonite, a Tarkett company flooring, wall panel/molding
Panolam Surface Systems laminate
Ruscio Studio Inc. design
EYE-CATCHING ELEMENTS EVOKE AN EDGY FORM OF ELEGANCE AT THIS ONE-STOP SHOP HAIR SALON, inside an inviting, highly visible angled corner storefront.
Adding curves to the design concept amps up the welcoming factor by eliminating hard lines between store sections, providing an openness that creates curiosity and discovery.
Mimicking the movement of hair with curvy floor fixtures and suspended, wave-shaped wood beams shows a careful and creative consideration of the brand. Placing wood beams at the entrance also adds warmth to the space.
Other design features include:
- Using three-sided boomerang-shaped custom display units to create fluidity and aid in circulation.
- Promoting playfulness with a custom chandelier that simulates strands of hair.
- Introducing sculptural mannequins as artistic props.
- Integrating digital media screens in the floor units to showcase in-store information such as promotions and services.
- Fusing refined materials with warehouse finishes.
- Showcasing the brand’s iconic “g” with a predominant, lit storefront display.
- Creating a chic setting in the salon area by pairing downlights in ceiling troughs with downlights and indirect lighting behind the mirrors.
More elements include letting the colorful packaging of the merchandise shine against a basic neutral color palette of charcoal, white and black. Using charcoal porcelain floor tiles also makes the white floor units stand out.
Installing a partition of vertical wood laths separating the retail side from the hair salon achieves the challenge of making the hair salon visible from the retail side, while offering a degree of privacy. Working with the merchandising team to determine the correct number of SKUs, units and shelves, and product placement avoids overstocking.