What does it take to be a winner in today’s retail environment of rapid online growth and accelerating consumer trends? A survey of 250 retailers uncovers the key merchandising behaviors that deliver the greatest year-over-year store sales growth.
According to the 2018 merchandising execution survey from tech company One Door, retail winners exhibit the following behaviors as part of merchandising success:
- Use accurate digital models of exact store layouts and fixture locations when planning merchandising campaigns.
- Recognize the link between merchandising execution and sales improvement and organize, train, operate, and incent employees accordingly.
- Apply data to the entire merchandising process, from assortment planning to compliance measurement.
- Communicate more frequently and encourage two-way store communication as a critical part of the merchandising process.
- Employ digital tools to streamline and automate manual operations in all facets of merchandising execution.
“As retailers face new demands fueled by the growth of online and the acceleration of consumer trends, many are struggling to adapt their merchandising practices to keep up,” says E.Y. Snowden, president and CEO of One Door. “This year’s survey reveals a new store-centric merchandising ‘code of conduct’ that retailers can follow to be successful in today’s hyper-competitive industry.”
In its 2017 survey, a merchandising execution maturity benchmark was established, providing retailers with a way to assess their merchandising practices, from assortment planning at headquarters to execution and compliance measurement in stores, against their peers. This year, to uncover areas where merchandising process transformation can have the most impact, the survey identifies merchandising behaviors and practices with the highest correlation to sales, according to One Door.