Fresh design revitalizes community
JIM’S LOCAL MARKET | Brooks Crossing, Newport News, VA
size: 28,465 sf
completion: May 2016
photos: Mark Steele Photography
Shop! members contributed to the following elements:
CIP Retail in-store signage, in-store graphics
BRINGING HEALTHY FOODS TO THE COMMUNITY, THIS FRESH DESIGN PROVIDES a modern, stylish atmosphere that features warm, welcoming signage and graphics.
Prior to opening, the closest supermarket serving this economically challenged neighborhood was miles away. Authentic materials — such as custom layered department signage with distressed, reclaimed wood planks arranged in staggered horizontal rows — contribute to the quality look of this full-service oasis.
Vinyl wood laminate in the community room echoes the rustic signage and wall treatments throughout the store. Stylized food graphics on the perimeter walls also provide an eclectic backdrop for the layered wood and metal department signage.
Other highlights include:
- Corrugated metal with overlaid lettering provides an alternating contrast to the wood plank perimeter signage.
- Faux neon blue script lettering on the dairy and beer coolers adds a playful accent to the store perimeter.
- Tiered deli island cases hold grab-and-go meals.
- Metal department signs featuring gooseneck overhead fixtures combined with rear uplighting create a halo effect.
- Clean sightlines and color blocking on perimeter walls allow for easy navigation.
- U-shape registers with merchandiser displays provide quick, convenient checkouts, especially for small-basket shoppers.
- Polished concrete floor resembles a clean, marbled look.
- Black and white photography of local landmarks in the community room achieves a connection to the community.
Creating a farmer’s market feel, wooden orchid bins and bakery carts in the produce and bakery departments greet shoppers entering the market. Brick walls in the entry vestibule and dining area also provide continuity with the brick facade