As Valentine’s Day approaches, TD Bank’s Retail Experience Index finds that jewelry shoppers value the in-store experience when making major purchases. New survey data shows:
- 60% shared that knowledgeable sales associates are very important when selecting where to shop
- 69% of shoppers sought the help of a sales associate during their last jewelry purchase
- 79% said the sales associate was influential in their purchase decision
“This demonstrates that product and inventory must match e-commerce offerings, but an effective sales force remains critical in jewelry retail sales,” says Mike Rittler, head of retail card partnerships for TD Bank.
Other tips for retailers from TD Bank include:
- Hire a knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating sales staff. Buyers don’t want to feel pressured, and in a lot of cases today they’ve done their research online before entering a store.
- All customers want to feel special, but when you’re making a large purchase, such as when buying a piece of jewelry, it’s the extras that help the experience become memorable. Have refreshments on hand, comfortable seating with good lighting and quality mirrors so that customers can try on pieces, offer to clean any jewelry they’re currently wearing. Beautiful packaging, complimentary gift wrap, in-store wish lists – these things should really be table stakes at this point.
- Once you’ve assured a great in-store experience, there are several tactics that can help encourage customer loyalty. The most obvious is a loyalty program that will allow customers to earn rewards for frequent purchases. Some programs also offer special discounts or promotions, or early access to sales. These are great tools for keeping a customer engaged.
- Offer customers a smart, affordable way to pay through a financing program. Financing programs that offer low- or no-interest incentives are a great way to help close the sale when cost is the main factor.
For more information, go here.