Transformation enhances customer experience
C.D. PEACOCK | Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, IL
size: 4,835 sf
completion: May 2016
photos: Charlie Mayer Photography
Shop! member Johnson Design Group contributed to design
SPARKLING WITH HIGH-END FINISHES AND CUSTOM LIGHTING IN A MODERN, CONTEMPORARY SETTING, this design transforms and expands the former space into a much larger, more luxurious shopping experience.
Enlarging the former, 2,000-sq.-ft. footprint by combining two existing retail spaces, the project focuses on the retailer’s core business — luxury timepieces. Among the elements are finishes reflecting the materials used to construct these watches. Other highlights include:
- Creating an open viewing repair shop for the watchmaker
- Modernizing the back area with the addition of a new jewelry workroom, spacious offices, restrooms, and a hi-tech security vault
- Partnering with the Rolex design office in New York City to create the Rolex boutique shop
- Keeping interior signage clean and simple, so as to not detract from the product
The remodel also features clean, tall vitrines, sit-down showcases, and a build-a-bar concept for designing engagement rings and specialty jewelry. A vertical format allows customers to view the product without bending down.
More design features include:
- Using silver metallic finish on all forms and surfaces of the fixtures to provide consistency
- Adding a residential feel with incandescent chandeliers and high-end wall coverings
- Drawing customers throughout the space with a custom lighting package that includes LED downlights, LED adjustable spotlights, and LED accent coves
Removing the former store’s oversized display fixtures opens the storefront and creates uninterrupted sightlines from the space into the mall. Built-in message boards at the mall entry presents merchandise specials and highlights vendor brands.