Design puts modern spin on classic menswear shop
PHILIP | Yorkville Village, Toronto
size: 977 sf
completion: June 2016
photos: Daniel Silver Photography
Shop! member Factory Design Worx Inc. contributed to the design
PUTTING A CONTEMPORARY SPIN ON THE CLASSIC STYLE OF A EUROPEAN MENSWEAR HOUSE, THE INTIMATE SETTING OF THIS STORE reflects its, easy navigable, carefully curated selection with such features as custom-built floor to ceiling perimeter wood veneer fixtures.
Keeping the shell design minimal and monochromatic allows the total focus to be on the product. Oversized amoires house specific collections. Display tables featuring a sliding upper table over the lower main unit allows the merchandise to be centered, front or back. Detailing on the perimeter and floor fixtures are also simple but bold with large profile, heavy gauged, metal hardware.
Inviting clients to linger, the color palette and lighting level creates a warm and inviting atmosphere. An eye-catching, artistic LED sculptural lighting element, comprising 18 aluminum rods rotated at various angles, provides a touch of whimsy to the client consultation area.
Other features include:
- Keeping the small workspace at the POS clear by incorporating a garment hook into the unit’s millwork.
- Animating two columns in the shop window with wood veneer and metal cladding creates a dramatic presence and anchors the displays.
- Animating body forms with cloth measuring tape to identify the store’s custom tailoring services.
- Installing marble floor tile in the retail and stockroom areas, and wool level loop carpeting in the fitting rooms.
- Using a changing collection of artwork to create a curated gallery vibe.
A vast majority of the materials used in the store and fixture buildout also meets the landlord’s LEED credit target for commercial interiors.