Design puts modern spin on classic menswear shop
Putting a contemporary spin on the classic style of a European menswear house, the intimate setting of this store reflects its easy navigable, carefully curated selection. A minimal, monochromatic shell allows the total focus to be on the product. Custom floor-to-ceiling perimeter fixtures with wood veneer highlight merchandise. Oversized amoires house specific collections. Display tables featuring a sliding upper table over the lower main unit enable the merchandise to be centered, front or back. Detailing on the perimeter and floor fixtures is simple and bold with large-profile, heavy-gauge metal hardware.
Inviting clients to linger, the color palette and lighting level create a warm and inviting atmosphere. An eye-catching, artistic LED sculptural lighting element, comprising 18 aluminum rods rotated at various angles, provides a touch of whimsy to the client consultation area.
PHILIP | Yorkville Village, Toronto
size 977 sf
completion June 2016
photos Daniel Silver Photography
Contributing Shop! member: Factory Design Worx design
Other features include:
- Keeping the small workspace at the POS clear by incorporating a garment hook into the unit’s millwork.
- Animating two columns in the shop window with wood veneer and metal cladding creates a dramatic presence and anchors the displays.
- Animating body forms with cloth measuring tape to identify the store’s custom tailoring services.
- Installing marble floor tile in the retail and stockroom areas, and wool level loop carpeting in the fitting rooms.
- Using a changing collection of artwork to create a curated gallery vibe.
A vast majority of the materials used in the store and fixture buildout also meets the landlord’s LEED credit target for commercial interiors.