The recent launches of initiatives from several large financial institutions to offer contactless cards are evidence of the growth of contactless adoption in the U.S. As more opportunities arise to tap to make a payment, clear communication at the point of sale (POS) is needed to indicate that contactless cards and devices are accepted. The U.S. Payments Forum is helping issuers and merchants to improve this experience at the POS with a new resource describing best practices for contactless acceptance.
The white paper, Consumer Experience at the Contactless Point of Sale, can be downloaded here.
“Contactless adoption is advancing in the U.S.—more consumers are going to be using contactless EMV chip cards and mobile wallets in the near future as a result of increasing availability and acceptance,” says Randy Vanderhoof, director of the U.S. Payments Forum. “But an essential part of this growth involves making sure consumers know where they can tap, how to tap, and when to do so. This new resource gives merchants and issuers guidance to improve the user experience through signage, prompts, and other POS recommendations.”
The white paper discusses common contactless POS challenges and best practices including:
- Communicating to consumers that a merchant accepts contactless payments through clear and consistent signage.
- Prompting consumers when and where to tap during transaction.
- Familiarizing cashiers with how to properly execute a contactless transaction based on the merchant’s implementation and to help consumers as they transact.
- Creating a seamless consumer transaction flow with clear communication that a consumer’s card was read and whether the transaction was approved or declined.
In addition to the white paper, the U.S. Payments Forum’s other contactless resources for merchants, issuers, transit agencies and ATM owners, include:
- Website: GetContactless.com
- Webinar recording: Contactless Open Payments for Transit
- White paper: Guidelines for Contactless ATM Transactions—A Guide for ATM Owners and Operators
- White paper: Dual-Interface Card Personalization
- White paper: Transit Contactless Open Payments: Technical Solution for Pay As You Go