Innovative beauty destination focuses on experiences
SAKS FIFTH AVENUE BEAUTY FLOOR | New York City
size 32,000 sf
completion May 2018
photos Saks Fifth Avenue
Contributing Shop! member:
BY BOLDLY MOVING THE BEAUTY DEPARTMENT FROM ITS TRADITIONAL MAIN FLOOR MODEL TO THE SECOND FLOOR, this luxury flagship department store provides a larger, well-lit destination that places a significant focus on experiences. The spacious surroundings, which are 40% larger than the previous space, include 15 new spa rooms along with services such as medi-spa treatments, facials, massages, manicures, brow services, and a flower shop. The floor also features more than 120 color cosmetics, skincare, fragrance, and wellness brands, 58 of which are new to the floor.
The new beauty floor is the latest step in the New York flagship’s grand renovation. Opening up the space creates broad sightlines across the floor. Modernizing traditional finishes also complement the brand’s heritage. Restoring the original windows allows a welcoming infusion of natural light. Other features include custom agglomerate white stone flooring from Italy.
“As part of Saks’ overall growth strategy, we continue to look for ways to innovate, create and disrupt,” says Marc Metrick, president, Saks Fifth Avenue. “The bold decision to move beauty to the second floor, from the traditional main floor model, allowed us to build a one-of-a-kind destination enabling Saks to create the epitome of an experiential beauty floor. What we’ve done gives the customer a warmer environment, differentiated from what they can get anywhere else and creates a reason to come to Saks and experience our brand.”
Beauty and wellness services include:
- FaceGym, a non-invasive facial workout exclusive to Saks and the first shop in the U.S.
- Dedicated spa rooms for Chanel, Clé de Peau Beauté, Dior, Kiehl’s Since 1851, La Mer, La Prairie, Martine de Richeville, SKINNEY MedSpa, and Sisley Paris
- Martine de Richeville’s signature slimming, deep-tissue massage, Rémodelage—a Saks exclusive and brand-first space in the U.S.
More highlights include:
- First-of-its-kind Chanel spa room, modeled after the Chanel au Ritz Hotel Spa in Paris
- Dior spa room modeled after the Dior Institut at the Plaza Athenée in Paris
- Gucci’s first new beauty concept store in the United States
- Guerlain Parfumeur boutique offering 110 iconic creations where visitors can choose their own scent through a digital consultation and personalize their own bottle
- Exclusive fragrances from Bond No. 9, By Kilian, Clive Christian, EB Florals, Ex Nihilo, Hermès, Roja Dove, and more
- Apothecary concept with a 160-sq.-ft. curated boutique of niche beauty products and expert favorites from 30 brands
- Flexible 850-sq.-ft. space for beauty and wellness events, master classes, public appearances, small private gatherings, and visual installations