Sales of books about politics at Barnes & Noble stores across the U.S. jumped 57% compared to the previous year, the retailer announced this month.
“U.S. politics has been red hot in 2018 as readers have flocked to analyses and insider accounts of the White House and the U.S. political scene,” says Liz Harwell, senior director of merchandising, trade books at Barnes & Noble. “One of the hottest political books of 2018, Fear, was the fastest-selling title for the company in over three years, with our stores selling more than a book every second on the first day.
The data also shows that three states who voted blue in 2016 have trended toward books that are positive to Trump, while 2 states who voted red lean toward buying books critical of the President. Meanwhile, the states that were most likely to buy books supporting President Trump were: Texas, Florida, and North Carolina. The states that were the most likely to buy books critical of the president were: New York, California, and Massachusetts.
Barnes & Noble’s top 10 political bestsellers in 2018 were:
1) Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward
2) Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff
3) Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership by James Comey
4) The Russia Hoax: The Illicit Scheme to Clear Hillary Clinton and Frame Donald Trump by Gregg Jarrett
5) Russian Roulette: The Inside Story of Putin’s War on America and the Election of Donald Trump by Michael Isikoff and David Corn
6) The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations by John McCain
7) Liars, Leakers, and Liberals: The Case Against the Anti-Trump Conspiracy by Jeanine Pirro
8) Killing the Deep State: The Fight to Save President Trump by Jerome R. Corsi
9) Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends by Peter Schweizer
10) Unhinged: An Insider’s Account of the Trump White House by Omarosa Manigault Newman