Saks debuts luxury handbag destination
Saks Fifth Avenue recently opened one of the largest luxury handbag destinations in New York City, furthering the grand renovation of its Fifth Avenue flagship. The expansive 53,000-sq.-ft. main floor of the New York Flagship triples the handbag department selling space which includes more than 50 brands —14 of which are new to the store.
The new main floor made its debut in early February and is the latest milestone in the New York Flagship’s grand renovation. Saks Fifth Avenue’s new business model has reimagined the department store concept with the revolutionary migration of beauty to the second floor in May 2018, allowing for the handbag and leather goods assortment to triple in size on the main floor. The Saks Store Planning and Design team, in collaboration with Gensler, spearheaded the renovation of the iconic space, updating it for the modern customer.
Seamless access, expansive experience
“The opening of our reimagined main floor is another milestone in our grand renovation that offers our customers a modern and expansive experience the moment they walk through the doors,” says Marc Metrick, president, Saks Fifth Avenue. “This combined with the opening of L’Avenue at Saks, our new in-store dining experience, epitomizes The New Luxury, centered on individuality, personalization and ease.”
The new handbag floor reinforces Saks’ position as a fashion authority with an exceptional offering. Seamless access between our dominant handbag presentation, revolutionary beauty experience on the second floor, and the upcoming Vault on the lower level reinforces our New York City flagship as a one-of-a-kind luxury destination with unparalleled service and merchandise, Metrick explains.
“We have created a luxury handbag shopping experience unlike any other in New York City — the new main floor at Saks Fifth Avenue offers an unprecedented assortment and world-class service. To celebrate the opening we worked closely with our partners to create over 100 exclusive products specifically for our customers,” adds Tracy Margolies, chief merchant, Saks Fifth Avenue. “The size and scale of the new main floor enables us to showcase the best handbag and accessory designers in the world, demonstrating Saks Fifth Avenue’s strong fashion point of view. We are confident that the overall presentation, including high-design shop-in-shops combined with personalization and customization services will truly surprise and delight our customers.”
Open views through the store
Iridescent dichroic film coated escalators are stacked with open views through the store, visually and physically linking the first two floors, while changing colors as visitors travel between levels. The configuration of the escalators creates a diamond-shaped atrium connecting the main floor with beauty and jewelry on 2 for ease of traffic flow.
Other highlights include:
- A new atrium uniting the main floor with beauty and jewelry on 2 features a multimedia large-scale installation centered by a 60-ft. by 20-ft. LED screen
- Custom terrazzo flooring from Italy along with transparent and opaque high-design fixturing guides the customer procession down runway-inspired aisles
- Folded metal origami inspired tables and glass fixtures built with two-way mirrors
- Experiential installations to be housed in 600 sq. ft. of flex space
Personalization meets localization
The floor also features a curated mix of top luxury brands including Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, Celine, CHANEL, Chloé, Dior, Fendi, Givenchy, Gucci, Loewe, Loro Piana, Louis Vuitton, Moynat, Nancy Gonzalez, Prada, Saint Laurent, Stella McCartney, The Row, Valentin, and more.
Additional brand highlights include:
- CHANEL’s largest handbag shop in a multi-brand retailer in North America
- Moynat’s first iconic space in a multi-brand retailer
- Saks SVNR (pronounced souvenir) merchandise launch, includes novelty totes, keychains, hats, umbrellas, belts, books, pins, postcards, and more inspired by New York City
The new main floor features multilingual Saks service advisors (non-selling, 20 in total), dedicated to navigate clients through the building, handbag style advisors (50 in total) with multi-brand product knowledge, and dedicated brand-specific representatives in each vendor shop.
The New York flagship will host a series of in-store and online personalization events while also offering year-round customization from select brands, featuring monogramming, embossing, hand stamping, artwork, graffiti and more, all of which free of charge with purchase.
Set to debut two additional phases
The opening of the main floor is the latest step in Saks’ New York flagship $250 million grand renovation, and follows:
- L’Avenue at Saks, an upscale Parisian dining experience in store designed by Philippe Starck; the destination marks the first venture for L’Avenue outside Paris (February 2019)
- Beauty on 2, an experiential makeup, skincare, fragrance and wellness destination (May 2018)
- Jewelry on 2, the jewelry lover’s ultimate destination featuring a mix of established and emerging jewelry designers (May 2018)
- L3 Designer, a one-of-a-kind destination for extraordinary fashion from around the world (September 2017)
- L5, The Collective and The Advance, a destination for fresh contemporary fashion (Summer 2017)
- L4, home to designer collections (August 2016)
- Select shops in 10022-SHOE on 8, Saks’ famed shoe salon so big it needed its own zip code (2015)
Saks is set to debut two additional phases of the grand renovation later in 2019: The Vault and Men’s. All aspects of Saks’ New York flagship Grand Renovation are integral pieces of its new business model, creating the ultimate shopping destination in New York City with unparalleled service and merchandise.