Amid growing concerns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, RetailX 2020 has been canceled. The annual trade show, which encompasses GlobalShop and IRCE, had been scheduled for June 9-11 at McCormick Place in Chicago.
The decision was made due to recent developments regarding COVID-19, that include, but are not limited to:
- The recent announcement that McCormick Place is being converted into an Alternate Care Facility (ACF) for COVID-19 patients
- The declaration of a National State of Emergency by President Trump
- Various statewide states of emergency declared across the nation
- The latest federal measures, including travel restrictions placed on foreign nationals traveling to the United States from certain EU member states and other places
- The declaration by the WHO of COVID-19 as a pandemic
- The accelerating pace of confirmed cases worldwide and domestically
- The current quarantines, containment areas, stay at home orders, and restrictions on congregating and large gatherings imposed by states and other government and public health authorities
- Various company-imposed travel restrictions on employees affecting attendees and participating companies
- Numerous conversations with customers, partners, and speakers
“These developments have made it impossible to effectively host a June event that delivers the level of education, connection, and value that our community expects and deserves,” a statement from the show reads.
“We are focused on continuing to provide the necessary support and information to enhance your businesses throughout the year,” the statement continues. “In an effort to continue to serve this community, we are working on creating virtual options for engagement and education across our entire, diverse audience. While we all exercise social distancing, we will be utilizing our various outlets to promote the health and longevity of the retail and ecommerce businesses that you all represent, and we look forward to maintaining our important connections, albeit virtually.”
Further announcements will be posted in the coming days and weeks on the RetailX website, including specifics on attendee and exhibitor questions.